Knowledge seeking!

Jozo
Jozo Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

I've just been diagnosed/confirmed as having OA in both hips and one knee (although that's not too bad apart from the added bone spur!) I'm already very active but can't work out what's best to do, not do, who to ask or where to go! I've been given physio appointment s but only online and even after I told them I walked on average 5-6 miles a day and rowed 3 times a week , they still have me exercises that I use as stretching one's! I'm sure they didn't believe me! I just don't want to waste the getting worse if there's things I can do to help.

That's it in a nutshell!

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 734

Welcome @Jozo to the online community,

You have joined in the hope of gaining more information having been recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips and one knee. Since you describe yourself as a very active person you obviously have a high standard of fitness which I understand you want to maintain for as long as possible. Whilst everyone with arthritis is being encouraged to exercise within their capabilities Versus Arthritis have an excellent exercise programme run by Leon called Lets Move, this is probably too basic for your needs. Many members have enjoyed following the twelve week programme and it has been very popular.

I attach some links to alternative forms of exercise which you might find helpful

Water based exercises relieve the strain on joints and can be personalised to suit the individual's needs and capabilities. Similarly cycling can also provide exercise with less stress on some joints. If in the future you have to consider joint replacement surgery the consultant will need assess the mobility of your hips and knees and their supporting muscles, so the longer you can stay active the better.

There is a wide variety of discussions and activities on the online community and also links to local group meetings which you might find interesting to look at. This is a safe place to share your concerns and find others who can offer advice and support. So we do hope that you will stay in touch and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 144

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis of OA and can fully appreciate that your present level of activity exceeds the demands of the exercises you've been given, It's great that you can maintain your walking and rowing, that you do the appropriate stretching and strengthening, with adequate warm-up preparation.

OA is notoriously unpredictable in its progression so it's doubtful that anyone could tell you what lies ahead but the best way of staying in control of it is to remain as fit and active as possible throughout this new journey. There are conflicting views about the long-term effects of activity on joints but research suggests strongly that physical activity neither causes nor worsens OA. Physiotherapy can be helpful if you feel you are losing muscle strength and a private sports physio might be able to help keep you rowing at whatever level you can manage.

My suggestion, as a former sportsperson with widespread OA, would be to make the most of every day that you are able to engage in your favourite activities. at the same time developing your awareness of your own body alongside equipping yourself with all the knowledge VA can provide (as in the above post). Then be prepared to modify your activities one step at a time in line with OA's dictates.

Just as you are trying the physiotherapy offered, be open-minded about other therapies and medication until you find what works best for you at any time. If sharing your experiences - good or bad - with others helps you will always find a response from someone on this site.

• Hi I also am very active and last year was walking 10 miles regularly , now I walk 4 miles but do need some extra pain killers to do that. I read that your diagnosis /x rays don’t correlate to your functioning. I think talk to your physio over what level of exercise is good for you and what will maybe make the wear and tear on your joints worse. Sometime we do have to give in a little to these things, I wanted to carry on walking ten miles for another twenty years (I am 59) but my physio said I was storing up more problems if I kept doing that !