Newbie, saying hello 👋

Options
ElsieBoo
ElsieBoo Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I am a newly diagnosed (started Methotrexate 2 weeks ago) Rheumatoid Arthritis member with a good dose of Asthma mixed in!

I wanted to join this group for support as I felt rather scared and isolated. I made the mistake of searching the internet and found myself emerged in horror stories about the condition and the treatment., which caused a little anxiety. My consultant recommended this site, advising me to listen to and get support from the community; so here I am 😊

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @ElsieBoo and welcome to the Online Community, lovely to have you here.

With a new diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis, finding reliable information on the internet can be a real minefield! Full marks to your consultant for pointing you in our direction! 😀 We are a safe place to find and receive support from people who all have experience of arthritis.

We also have a great website with reliable information that can be trusted. Here is our general page for rheumatoid arthritis:

and if you haven't yet gathered all the information on methotrexate, then this link may also be of help:

Do join in across the Community: ask questions, give support and call in to let us know how you are getting on. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• ocean
    ocean Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi @ElsieBoo , it's ok to feel shock and sadness when told something like this and you will start to come to terms with it. The main thing to remember is everyone with any illness under the arthritis umbrella is going to have their own journey. Some don't feel so much pain others can't move, the best advise i can give you is talk to your doctor looking after your condition. Ask family and friends to read up on your condition so your not constantly having to explain yourself. Diet and exercise are so important too. I hope you start to come to terms with your health issues and find comfort in knowing your not alone.

• Wendolyn1
    Wendolyn1 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi ElsieBoo,

I also have RA, I was diagnosed about 7 years ago now. Time flies by so quickly. I have been on Methotrexate since the beginning. It has kept my arthritis more or less under control all of this time, so even though I don't like taking these pills every Monday it's worth it to not suffer the pain I used to have when I was first diagnosed.

I'm sure once you get your head round all of this you will be ok. There seems to be a lot of very friendly helpful and knowledgeable people on this site, ready to offer advice etc where they can. I have only just joined myself so am still finding my way around everything.

Look after yourself and take care xx