Swimming with arthritis

Options

Can i swim if i struggle to walk Is it safe to swim ,I am worried

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hello @geetamadhani and welcome to the online community,

It is understandable to be worried about swimming if you struggle to walk, as you do. However, the good news is that swimming is very good for people with arthritis as it supports the joints and helps your strength and flexibility. You might be interested to read the page about swimming from the Versus Arthritis website - it talks about all the benefits and also answers any questions you may have. You can also check where your nearest pool is, and you are advised to contact them to find out if they can help you into the pool and whether they have any special sessions that are quieter or specifically for people with mobility issues:

I have rheumatoid arthritis and am unstable when walking in bare feet so I wear water shoes when I visit the pool - they have grippy soles so I don't slip. You can find them in most sports shops or online.

It would be lovely to hear more about you and what sort of arthritis you have, and I am sure others will want to welcome you to the online forum - everyone is very friendly here.

Do let us know how you get on,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Ask your GP or OT to refer you for Hydrotherapy which will be under the supervision of medical staff. I was offered it but the nearest place is over and hour away and I have no transport, it was also agreed by the Consultant that the effort of travelling to and from the pool would negate any benefit I may have got!!!!

• geetamadhani
    Options

Thankyou so much for your advice I will look into that ,I wll ask my gp As i am osteoarthritis in my knees and I am waiting for knee replacement,I don't know how long I have to wait