Osteoarthritis in hips and lower back ....chronic pain when I lie down on my sides

Hiya

I have only just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in hips and lower back.

but also have a lower disc that has moved.

but as soon as I lie down on my side my hips are in chronic pain.

disturbing my sleep because I’m having to keep swapping sides all night.

The drugs and tens machine not helping.

Does anyone know how I can make myself comfortable?

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 6. Aug 2021, 17:34

Hi@Lita

Welcome to the online community,so glad you have contacted us.

You say that you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in your hips,and a lower back disc that has moved.

This is giving you a disturbed sleep as you have to change sides continually.

Pain is very dibilitating and anything that can be done that can relieve pain is good.Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Above is a link that may help .Please keep in touch to tell us how you get on and do visit our forums where you can speak freely to a friendly group of people who understand what you are going through.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

hi Lita, have you tried using cushions or pillows to support your hips in a position that’s comfortable for you? Eg keeping a pillow between your legs. Everyone’s pattern of wear to their arthritic joints is different, so experiment and see what works for you. I only had one affected hip, and found sleeping with my legs straight really set it off. I tend to sleep on my stomach, but I found having a cushion under my stomach/hip and another under my foot kept my joints flexed in a way that took the pressure off my hip joint. Now post THR, I find a knee pillow between my legs works better. It’s more complicated for you with two hips and a bad back to worry about, but you may find a combination that works for you.