Any recommendations for pain relief?

Options

Hi, I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees, I think it’s partly due to kneeling on hard floors for years in my job.

i take Ibuprofen 600mg to help with the pain and when it gets really painful and the ibuprofen doesn’t work then I take Meloxicam which does help but it does upset my tummy a lot so I can’t take it for too long. I also take amitriptyline at a night to help me sleep with it although that doesn’t seem to be working at the moment.

I used Deep Freeze and Deep Heat which sometimes takes the edge off the pain and have used ibuprofen gels in the past. I will also take paracetamol sometimes as well. I can’t take codiene or cocodamol .

what does everyone use for pain medication that works well for them? I know everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another but I know this is a long term condition and I really want to find something that can help especially when I’m at work.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I have widespread OA and some associated issues, having worked my way through all of the available painkillers over the years and now being lumbered with ever increasing doses of Morphine I can categorically state that NOTHING gets rid of the pain, the meds only knock the edges off. I suggest that you ask your GP for a referral to your local Pain Clinic who will be able to offer other meds and treatments which may help. Also things which distract you from the pain.

• Cookie8
    Cookie8 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thankyou for your advice, sorry you are still suffering.

I will definitely ask my GP to refer me to the pain clinic.

have you found any gels or creams that take the edge off?

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

have you found any gels or creams that take the edge off?

No!

• pisica
    pisica Member Posts: 19
    Options

If your kidney function is okay, it may be worth asking your GP about COX2 inhibitors as these have fewer GI side effects. I had tried just about every classic anti-inflammatory but they all affected either my stomach or my asthma or both. The one I take is Celecoxib, which is relatively cheap and is definitely licensed for OA (I checked, because I have PsA and would hate to suggest something you couldn't get). It doesn't work for everyone, but I find it really helpful - it's not a miracle cure, but it reduces the pain a lot. If you are given it, note that you'll likely be started on the lowest dose; if you feel like it's made some difference but not enough, you can ask for a dose increase.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options

Hi @Cookie8

I take Arcoxia - also a COX-2 inhibitor. If the Dr prescribes them they will be instead of your ibuprofen.

I used to quite like those heat-patches that went in like tubigrip stuff on my knees. Might be worth a try I got them from the chemist but I bet supermarkets sell them now.

Take care

• DaveVW
    DaveVW Member Posts: 15
    Options

sigh

I'm struggling right now. I'm on Zapain, which is codeine and Paracetamol. That worked initially, a couple years ago, but over time isn't doing well. The doctor added Naproxen, which is prescription only in the UK, but can be bought over the counter in the US. I'd suggest you maybe try that.

That said, I'm struggling once again. I look into my future and seriously think I may not be able to get out of the house within the next year. I had to walk to the store today, and the pain is terrible. I also stumble if there's a slight bump in the path, I guess because I more shuffle than walk. I'm also getting pain in my ankles now, which is new.

Still, this is about you, not me. If you're in the US, try Naproxen, because you should be able to get it fairly cheaply. However, be very careful of anyone like myself recommending medications. I'm not a Doctor.