Recently diagnosed with R A.

Options
Meli
Meli Member Posts: 11
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I'm struggling a bit with this diagnosis and the anxiety that comes with it. I'm struggling with wrist and finger pain at the moment. I've not been started on any formal medication yet, just naproxen for the inflammation. My wrists feel like they are broken on a night, can't stand the bedclothes on them. It is having an impact on my mood, is this normal and will I eventually get my head around this?. I just keep thinking about what lies ahead and I have some anxieties about the medication I will inevitably be starting soon. I know it's important to stay positive but I'm finding this hard. ☹️

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Meli and welcome to the Online Community, great to have you here.

I understand you have had a recent diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis in your wrists/hands. This has come as a real shock and has naturally made you depressed and anxious such that you find it hard to keep a positive outlook.

The first thing to realise is that you are not alone and the Community is here to help and support you. We have some really good information on the website that may also help.

The emotional effects of arthritis can have as much impact as physical symptoms. I know that I feel at my lowest at night when the pains in my back wake me up yet again as I turn over. There are some really useful tips that may be of some help here - what I find works best is talking about what is upsetting me and getting help from others.

Do join in across the community. Ask questions and don't hesitate to look for help from other members. Do say how you are getting on and call in for a chat or a read. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor