Newly Diagnosed

Options
SANNIE27
SANNIE27 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Today I went to see my doctor as my thumbs are so painful....no examination..was told from the opposite side of the room it is arthritis so im in the dark as to how im meant to deal with it...im tired of it all now it seems to be the one illness that youve to just get on with..no care plan no explanation of what to expect etc...my mood is low so I will leave it at that for now and come back when I feel I can ask questions and discuss how others cope and manage it

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @SANNIE27 welcome to the Online Community, great to have you here.

I understand you have a diagnosis of arthritis which is affecting your hands, particularly the thumbs. Sadly, this is one of the most common areas that are affected. Apart from being painful, it can also affect the quality of daily activities such as opening containers, holding anything securely or even managing to "eat cleanly" as our household found out after a number of food spillages!

Our website has some useful information that you may like to read when you are ready, including information on managing the condition and various sorts of pain relief.

We are a very supportive community and you are welcome to ask questions or seek advice. Do say how you are feeling and how you are getting on - a new diagnosis is often a real shock and getting to terms with what happens next can be quite hard. Join in across the Community, you will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Push your GP for a referral to an Occupational Therapist at your local hospital; failing that you should be able to get a visit from one if you contact Adult Social Care at your Council. There are a whole range of items which can help you with arthritic hands and I especially recommend the braces which I use which can either be purchased privately or provided by hospital OTs.

• SANNIE27
    SANNIE27 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you for your responses...I am down for seeing a physio who will guide me in exercises and hopefully give my hands a proper examination. I am disappointed with my doctors so from now on won't raise the matter with them.

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 13. Aug 2021, 09:47
    Options

Hi Shannie27. You've had some good advice, especially from Mike1. Those thumb splints should help a lot. Yo are always welcome to pop in Val's Café for a good old natter (usually about cats) and some calorie free grub. All the best, KathleenT (AKA Kitty Kat)

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein