Have I got hand arthritis?

Hi

I recently have started to get achey hands , they are sort of stiff and the knuckles of a couple of my fingers sort of lock. It's not very painful just achey and strange. My wrists feel achey too. It's worst in the morning when I wake up. The joints aren't swollen looking.

It feels as if I've really over used my hands and wrists doing something - except I haven't .

I'm 41 and might have started menopause but the Dr isn't sure. I wanted to ask if this sounds like osteoarthritis or something else?

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883

Hello @Kafs and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that your hands and wrists are getting achy - have you discussed this with your GP? I have OA in my hands but they look normal, just ache at times and sometimes painful when I get a flare up. I went to see my GP and have painkillers and anti-inflammatory prescriptions (Naproxen) so it might be worth you discussing it with your GP. In the meantime our website has a lot of useful information and a search facility so do have a look around, I've put a couple of links below which may help you.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi Kafs,

Has you dr done any recent blood tests for menopause or inflammation maybe you could ask if they haven’t, I have arthritis in both hands and along with pain in knuckles stiffness and such I get a lot of cramp too I would speak to your gp to see if you can have some bloods done if it persists

good luck

Jona 💐

• Hi Kafs,

Thank you for posting on our helpline forum, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing aching and stiffness in your hands.

Thank you, Peter, for attaching all the links that will hopefully help Kafs in the future. As Peter has said it is very important that you try to make an appointment to see your doctor to confirm it is arthritis. They will listen to your symptoms and examine your hand and wrist and check range of movement. You may be asked to have a blood test to check your inflammatory marker levels and possibly a referral for an x-ray or a MRI scan, these help the doctor look closely to what is happening within your joints.

Once a diagnosis is confirmed, if you would like to call the helpline and speak to an advisor in confidence, please do so on the free phone number (0800 5200 520) where we can help and support you to manage the condition and possibly suggest various treatment that are available.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor