Fatigue

Options

I have OA in my hips. I keep as mobile as I possibly can and as I live on the first floor of a two storey house, I use my stairs every day to access my front door and also to get down to my garden. I consider going up and down the stairs several times a day, as a workout in itself! Come the latter part of the afternoon though, I find myself having to lie down because I am so tired. I know that fatigue is a symptom of arthritis and just wondered if there is anyone else suffering like me? Am I being lazy lying down for an hour? Does anyone have any tips for staying awake or am I right to give in?

Comments

• pisica
    pisica Member Posts: 19
    Options

You're right to lie down, but it's not giving in; it's listening to your body.

I have PsA, and sometimes the fatigue is so bad I can barely drag myself out of bed. So, if I don't have to, I don't. I've found that trying to power through it just makes it worse and longer-lasting. Rest is one of the most important parts of looking after yourself. It took me a long time to accept that, and some days it's still hard.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,741
    Options

Fatigue is part and parcel or arthritis. As @pisica says, you need to listen to your body, as pushing through the tiredness will deepen the fatigue and it will take you longer to pick up again. If you find napping during the day is affecting your night time sleep, try to rest rather than actually sleep during the day. But don’t beat yourself up if you nod off.

You may find some gentle exercise during the day will make you a little more energised. Even just some stretching and breathing exercises. It gets the blood flowing better, which delivers more oxygen round your system. You could also look at your diet, eat more fresh fruit and veg, less processed foods d refined sugars, as this can also boost energy levels. Every little helps.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    edited 15. Aug 2021, 06:01
    Options

Someone here advised me to nap. Set an alarm and nap. This was back in the days when i still had a school pick up to do.

I think it got me through the real 'flares' in my early days. I still do it now although I have never done the 'duvet days' bit. I always get dressed and sleep on my recliner. Probably my upbringing!

Resting is absolutely not being lazy!

• Anne16
    Anne16 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Stupid as it might sound, I did not realise that fatigue came with/was part of OA!! Anyway, yes I do very tired, especially after mid day. I have found it better to rest with my legs elevated, rather than take to my bed as it does affect my night time sleeping which is not great anyway. Also, on bad days, I try to be active for an hour or so, then rest for a bit, and do another round of activity; I seem to be able to cope better that way. Take care 🌺

• Ben91
    Ben91 Member Posts: 12
    Options

This chat is so relatable. I have been questioning myself every time I get fatigued; am I being lazy or is it the stills? At times my body has screamed at me to rest, but whilst at work in the middle of the day, it’s really hard.

As of recent, I have really struggled to get out of bed in the morning and it can take a good half an hour at times.

A lot of suggestions are that diet helps, and I am starting to exercise again more and more. However, it doesn’t help with being stressed. I am working full time as an Accountant, but also studying on the side, which is a part time job in itself.

Thanks for the tips in this forum though guys, and sorry I can’t help with the problems you are facing.