osteoarthritis sufferer but needs to walk!!

Options
Ligoe
Ligoe Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

hello

I have osteoarthritis in both hips, resulting from hip dysplasia. I have had a successful hip replacement done in March this year and it is a miracle, now desperately needing my right hip done. I also have osteoarthritis in both my shoulders, neck and most recently my hands. I enjoy yoga, it helps my flexibility, but I am interested in walking groups for similar ability as myself in the West Lothian area, if anyone knows of any group Id very much appreciate getting involved.

Thank you for listening

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Hi @Ligoe . My body's a total wreck but I heartily agree with you and do as much exercise as I can. Would this be of any use? https://www.open-walks.co.uk/West-Lothian/4392-*West-Lothian-disAbled-Ramblers/View-details.html

If not In themselves, they might be able to point you in the right direction. And / or you could ask your local council.

Good luck!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @Ligoe

Welcome to the online community and thank you for sharing your story with us. I hope that you will find this a safe space to continue sharing with us.

So you have osteoarthritis in both of your hips, shoulders, neck and most recently your hands. Your hip osteoarthritis results from hip dysplasia. You've had one successful hip replacement but need your other hip replacing also. You enjoy yoga but are looking for walking groups that have people with similar ability as yourself in the West Lothian area.

Sounds like you have had quite a year and I'm very pleased that your hip replacement was such a success and has made such a difference for you. Are you on the waiting list for your other hip or are you still waiting to be seen?

I am unfamiliar with the services in the West Lothian area, however I am sure there will people that are on the online community that can help point you in the right direction.

I have found a couple of links from our main Versus Arthritis website that may be of help which I have attached below. I'm hoping that they will offer you some guidance or alternative exercises to the walking group that you can use in the mean time until you have a suitable walking group.

The above link also gives you access to our Lets Move with Leon programme that you may find of interest as well as a new initiative that is going across the country at the moment called We are undefeatable. You may have seen adverts for this on the TV recently as it is being advertised across the country.

It also may be worth getting in touch with one of the Versus Arthritis groups in your area, as they may be able to help with advising what activities are available in your area.

I hope this helps. Please do let us know how you get on.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

Hi, I know just how hard it is for you I keep saying when I get one part of my body under a little control another bit starts hurting makes me feel quite tired too exhausting isn’t it?

But like they tell me keep moving use it or lose it although with my crumbling spine it’s not something they can replace do as much as pain allows and be kind to yourself always

take care

Jona 😊🤗