New to this group

Options
sequin
sequin Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi all I would like some help and advice. I have a ongoing investigation of osteoarthritis of my left knee which state major severity. I have a follow up with my physio consultation to hopeful discuss the results of my MRI and going forward. I have had to reduce my working hours/days from working 20hrs 5 days a week. I now work mon,wed,fri 12hrs. So I’ve had an significant drop income. I have applied for universal credits which was a waste of time as yes I have a partner that has a good income. But that’s not the problem is me I’ve not only gone from working a lot of hours to virtually nothing. I can’t not cope financially looking forward I have anxiety issue and are deeply depressed.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Welcome @sequin to the online community,

You have come to the right place for help and advice, numbers of our members have similar problems with OA of a knee and can offer you guidance and support. It is always a shock when first diagnosed with arthritis and takes us all a while to adjust to the changes this brings to our life. You have a lot to consider with your upcoming physio consultation, reduced working hours and income as well as the ongoing pain associated with the condition. I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful

When feeling anxious and in low spirits it is really useful to share these emotions with someone and so please feel that you can contact the community and talk to us online or as you see I have included the Helpline who will be able to support Monday - Friday,(9.00 - 6.00).

Let us know how you get on with your consultation,

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Hopefully your physio will sort you out with a knee brace until you can have the op. Although I have OA in my knees (as well as everywhere else) mine are not yet that bad; my baby Sister has stage 4 in her knees and has had a brace made to measure which has enabled her to carry on working in a supermarket as she has another 8 years to go before they will operate because she is only 59!!

• sequin
    sequin Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello, thanks for your input, unfortunately I am only 41 and too to have a op. My consult has diagnosed me with moderate to severe osteoarthritis in my left knee, inner and outer I have some knee cap missing a small tear. But all I’m offered it physio,steroids injection for the pain. I got to lose weight and basically live with it. Not only having to cope with this I am working reduced hours/days and financially and not mentally going to cope. All I get is because you have a partner and a good income I can not get help with the financial cost.

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @sequin

There are other options to Universal Credit, I'm attaching a link to the financial support area from our website

I understand your need to be financially independent, but just now, your knee is needing attention and that comes first. You may be surprised with the physio and steroid injections, they can be really helpful, I have had them in the past and will start again when I am more confident going out again.

Take care

Yvonne x