Do you wear knee braces and do they help

Options

Hi everyone do any of you wear knee braces and do they help you my physio told me not to rely on them too much so I only wear them when I go out to give me support when I get in and out of the car and I take them off when I get home I don't know if this is the right thing to do any advice would be helpful thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

This is clearly something that's worrying you as it's your second thread on the topic. I've always been advised exactly the same as you. They are great for brief periods but overusing them encourages our muscles to stop working. (Why should they when the support is doing their job for them?) So I've always used them eg when going round the supermarket or going somewhere that I suspect will be hard on my knees. Once home I remove the support and do some quads to get my knee muscles working again. I still use my support to help out my very old, failing (failed?) TKR but in exactly the same way.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jadelady73
    Jadelady73 Member Posts: 61
    Options

Thankyou it seams like iam doing the right thing for me at the moment i do my exercises every day and they are helping me so much I don't want to lose that

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Good for you, @Jadelady73. You have a great deal of determination which is a huge asset in coping with arthritis.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright