Heberden's Nodes - pain relief?

Options

I've had two successful trapeziectomies for thumb joint arthritis, but now the pain in my fingers is quite bad. I have large lumps at the ends of my fingers - Heberden's Nodes - which are extremely tender. I'm sure I've seen wax bath therapy mentioned on here somewhere. Can anyone tell me what they have used in the past and if it has been effective? Failing that, any ideas as to how can I relieve the pain in my fingers would be very useful. I think I could have steroid injections, but the ones I have had in my thumb joints in the past were excruciating, so I'm hoping to avoid that. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

Hello Megrose. It's lovely to see you but sorry the arthritis is making a thorough nuisance of itself.

All I can suggest is what Versus Arthritis says on the topic. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-hand-and-wrist/ Just scroll down to 'Managing......'

Many, MANY moons ago I was given wax treatment on the NHS. Shoulders, as I recall. lovely and soothing but the effects soon wore off. I think the value of such things s that they enable us, briefly, to do a few exercises that might help. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 148
    Options

I was also introduced to wax bath treatment when diagnosed with OA many years ago. As a teacher with piles of marking and lesson prep to do in pre-PC days I found it immensely soothing and purchased my own wax bath for use last thing before bed. I'm sure it contributed to my ability to fall asleep although its effects were temporary.

Over the years my Heberden's nodes (and Bouchard's nodes) have become less painful but the wax bath still gets used at times when my hands are particularly achy.

In general making sure my hands are warm is helpful as is finding an effective balance between using and resting the hands. 35 years on the nodes have stopped increasing in size and the joints have fused themselves so I have problems with grip and general dexterity. I don't know to what extent that might have been avoided but there is less pain and I have adapted to the situation by using various gadgets and moderating activity.

I have never been offered steroid injections into finger joints but the number of nerve endings in the hands certainly suggests they could be very painful and not worth considering unless you know there is a good chance of pain relief for several months.

I hope you find your own best way through this issue with the help of information and perhaps the expertise of a physiotherapist. Let us know what you find helpful - especially any new therapies you discover. All the best!

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options

Thank you both for your replies and it's lovely to see you too, Sticky. I had read that over time the nodes become less painful, so here's hoping. In the meantime I've been rubbing on Ibuprofen gel at night and that has helped a little. I'll have to see if I can get a wax bath, if nothing else, I'm sure it would be soothing. Thanks again.