At the beginning of our journey

Options
FionaMcP
FionaMcP Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I’m a wife with a husband who is only 35 has recently diagnosed with arthritis in his knees, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, sciatica & GERD. We suspect rheumatoid arthritis, but we still waiting for referral to rheumatologist. with the way NHS is now, this in itself is really difficult.

We have young family (4year old & 10month old) and in the last year my husband’s health has got dramatically worse, esp with the strain of a new baby.

Looking to meet people in similar situation, wives/husbands supporting their partners through this condition as well get advice & support on how to navigate family life with this new reality.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 20. Aug 2021, 19:58
    Options

Hi @FionaMcP

Welcome to the online community.Glad you have made contact with us.Your husband is indeed very young to have Arthritis and all the complications that comes with it.We are all here for you to help and advise as much as we can.The forums can help by chatting with others who suffer from the same or similar circumstances, everyone on our forums understands what you are going through and will try to answer any questions you may have.

Versus Arthritis | All of us pushing to defy arthritis.

Hope this link helps in some way.Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

Hi Fiona,

I just wanted to say hello and welcome you but I'm afraid this will be brief as it's definitely my bedtime and I have a busy morning tomorrow.

Your poor husband has certainly gathered a few diagnoses but I do think you both should push for - potentially - another. If he does have RA, or any other inflammatory form of arthritis, the sooner he's on the right medication the better.

We often say on here that arthritis affects everyone in a family but differently. I was diagnosed at 15, before I had my family. I wouldn't say I've had an easy life but I've certainly had a good one. Our two sons are now grown up with sons of their own. My husband has always been great. I guess we all just muddled through but, if everyone keeps talking, it works.

If you have any questions just shoot and I'll try to answer them. Meanwhile, again, I'd say first priority is a rheumatology appointment. RA doesn't usually start in knees but it can. A physio can help with the sciatica. Again, the sooner the better.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright