Electric scooters on your pavements.

airwave
airwave Member Posts: 579
edited 18. Nov 2021, 11:31 in Living with arthritis

I’ve just been hit on my shoulder by a delivery driver using an two wheeled electric scooter who went between myself and a friend on the path. They are not legal in our area. There is an increase in the use of them and when they come straight at me I can’t move out of the way quickly enough. This includes mobility scooters travelling at illegal speeds of 8mph on pavements.

Anyone else having problems?

it’s a grin, honest!

Comments

• Hi @airwave

I'm sorry to hear about this! We have some people riding scooters on pavements in our area still but the amount of people usings roads where appropriate is increasing!

It's awful that this has caused an accident involving yourself and I hope that you have not been left in any pain, however do make sure that you get yourself seen by your GP if you experience discomfort. Some of these shoudler pain tips might also come in handy for you in the meantime:

Take care,

Sarah

• Spiderman
    Spiderman Member Posts: 11

Bloody menace! Like most things,you never see a police officer anyway. What's the point in making something illegal if nobody enforces it?

I can understand why people of a certain age are so devoted to the well balanced and inclusive daily mail ( other papers are available...)

Grrr.... get more like a Victor meldrew everyday....

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

Our village has been invaded by cyclist all day I have just nearly been knocked down by some riding on the pavement. About 15 of them were gathered around a bench on our village green and as I was getting ready to cross the road they decided to start off again riding in front and behind me on the pavement some so close they caught my backpack( it is hard to carry bags and use crutches).One stopped right in front of me to adjust his sunglasses they only realized I was there when I sarcastically said "In your own time I would like to cross the road and aren't you too old to be riding on the pavement"

A small nearby town had to ban a mobility scooter user as she kept crashing into people one person ended up with a broken leg. She was a nightmare she used her scooter as a battering ram and woe betide you if you got in her way.

Spiderman even if the police see you getting knocked over they don't always do anything. I was in London a few years ago crossed a road on a green man when a cyclist decided to jump the lights and knocked me over. 2policemen were sat in a car nearby watching me drag myself to my feet and only headed off after him when I threw my arms up in the air and yelled at them. They caught him and I had the pleasure of catching up with them and giving him a piece of my mind before limping off to my painting course and finding the first aider.

There is a movement by British cycling to get more footpaths opened up to bikes and if that happens it will not be safe for me to get around my village as most places are accessed by footpaths there is only a couple of short sections of pavement.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I too get frustrated by cyclists. With all the emphasis lately of increasing the number of cyclists on the road NOT one authority has said anything about training (we had Cycling Proficiency at school when I was young), nothing about wearing helmets, nothing about testing on the Highway Code even though the Highway Code is being re-written in their benefit, nothing about insurance even so they can go around knocking people over and potentially causing damage and to do anything about it one would have to track them down and take out a Civil law suit. Absolutely ridiculous. And don't get me started about horse riders!!

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

the other evening we were walking down a footpath towards a tight corner to be met by a horse rider and a cyclist racing each other coming towards us. We rushed back the way we had come up the hill ( not easy with 2 crutches ) to the safety of a gateway and gave them a piece of my mind. I might have saved my breath they didn't care. I have also reported them to the footpath officer for our area with information on where they live. It is only by good luck we didn't meet them closer to the corner as they wouldn't have seen us until they hit us and you couldn't hear them coming as it was windy.

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579

Needless to say the police have dropped this case and the Just Eat company say they don’t know who they employ under their name, they just administer the contract and are not direct employers, slope shoulder responsibility!

My shoulder has improved after a few weeks now I just contend with arther.

it’s a grin, honest!