Waiting for surgery

Options
LauraB
LauraB Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello. I am on the waiting list for a hip replacement. The consultant didn’t want to say how long I might be waiting as he didn’t want to get my hopes up . I’ve done some research and that suggests I will be waiting between 66 and 69 weeks.😥

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 3. Sep 2021, 17:34
    Options

Hi @LauraB

Welcome to the online community glad to see you posting.

You ask how long is the waiting list for hip replacement Surgery.

Here is a link that may help.

Waiting times for surgery | Position statement (versusarthritis.org)

Please continue chatting to others on the forum as they are also helpful and supportive in your quest.

Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @LauraB in my area NHS waiting lists for hip replacements are over 12 months. I don't have medical insurance so I'm paying for a private operation. The time from initial consultation to the date scheduled for my operation (in 2 weeks time) was 12 weeks. I know only too well that I'm extremely lucky to be able to do this.

During the time I've been suffering from hip osteoarthritis I find pain killers and exercises help. But whereas I used to enjoy regular ten mile walks I now can't manage more than ten minutes on a good day. In my area you can self refer to Dynamichealth which is a physiotherapy service funded by the NHS and they gave me some exercises. Perhaps this is an option available to you? Alternatively Lou Grant, a UK physiotherapist who had a hip replacement herself, has some good videos and documents on her website.