Newly diagnosed with RA

Cherrycas
Cherrycas Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I am a 68 years young semi-retired female, diagnosed last month with RA. It came completely out of the blue, quite a quick onset and high disease activity. In fact my GP was a bit slow to react as she, like me, thought it was just a touch of age-related osteoarthritis.

In the space of a few weeks I feel my life has turned upside-down and everything, starting with personal care, has become a challenge.

The rheumatology team have started me on methotrexate (10mg weekly) and so far I have taken 3 doses. I'm also taking prednisolone, started at 15 mg and now down to 5mg.

I feel quite isolated and am glad this online community is here for support.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Cherrycas

Welcome to the online community I am sure you will find our members very supportive and get lots of help and advice from them.

I see from your post that you have a very recent diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis and are already on treatment which is very good news prompt treatment is key to controlling the disease.

You might well be feeling quite shocked at such a rapid onset of the disease so need to be kind to yourself while you adjust to it all.

Getting reliably informed (Versus Arthritis is an excellent source of course) and talking to others who understand will absolutely help with the process. Your GP and Rheumatology team seem on be on the ball too.

When I was newly diagnosed I felt quite fearful and traumatised so I telephoned the helpline here. If you would like to speak to someone this is the number:

I look forward to seeing your posts in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Cherrycas
    Cherrycas Member Posts: 4

Thanks Ellen