How much arthritis can you have?

This may be a silly question. However I am seriously concerned about the extent to which OA can affect a person. I have been diagnosed with OA in both hips back and one foot.

I am getting twinges in a knee and the other foot. Is this the beginning of more? Or am I becoming. Paranoid! Can it affect the whole person?

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Regrettably OA can affect the whole body, I have it in all joints as well as other issues, this does NOT mean that everyone is the same it affects everyone differently and to greater or lesser extents.

• Dino
    Dino Member Posts: 8

This is what I feared. Does this affect your walking ability and general mobility?

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

As Mike says, Dino, it CAN affect many joints but that doesn't meat to say it will. There are steps we can take to try to pre-empt it spreading. Have a good read here. It's very comprehensive.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Don't get frightened, NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME, I am just unlucky I guess. Crutches around the house and a wheelchair elsewhere, few people end up this way. I know it is easy but do NOT dwell on the negative, you may have reached the extent of your OA and you may actually get better mobility with treatment. Ask your GP to refer you to your local Pain Clinic who will be able to try a load of different meds and treatments. Also keep nattering on here it helps.

• Dino

Guys, thanks for your comments and insight. Very useful and encouraging.

Good luck with your own difficulties. Dino

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 144

I, too, have OA in most joints but its effects have only gradually made themselves more evident over 30+ years.

As has already been said we are all different and can't expect the progression of our condition to be the same as anyone else's so only time will reveal whether your twinges are indicative of OA in other joints. It's good to be able to plan for the future but anticipating what might happen is a recipe for anxiety/depression, which is a greater disability than OA at its most restricting.

Of course I have my down days and, like most others often struggle with pain management but for me it's a case of taking each day as it comes, making the most of whatever degree of mobility I currently have, accepting the limitations and living life to the full. That way there are no regrets if/when the goal posts move closer together so making whatever adjustments are necessary becomes just another aspect of normal life, not a major setback.

OA is life-changing but is also a daily reminder of how fortunate I am not to have a life-limiting condition and to live in a developed country with a free-to-all health service, regardless of its shortcomings, not to mention hugely better disability awareness than many countries.

Coming to terms with the initial diagnosis is the biggest hurdle but, once you have grown accustomed to it and understand the condition you'll be surprised at how good life still is!

Best wishes for your journey!

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579

Learning to live with OA is the name of the game, succeed and you’re be much happier. Always waiting for improvements and you will feel bad in yourself. There is a middle way that we can drive, getting some medical assistance and allowing us to get on with our lives. We can be more than the word ‘arthritis’, I have so much to do in life I don’t want to spend my life worrying about arther.

its a grin, honest!

• Dino

Thank you for your thoughts and wisdom. I am much humbled by the kindness shown by you all. I feel enlightened as to what may be store for me but with the help and strength of this community I know there is a tremendous psychological benefit to be had by simply sharing our stories. Thank you so much. Dino