Father in law OA both knees

Options

Hi,

I've joined here on behalf of my father in law who doesn't use the Internet. He has severe arthritis in both knees but also has chronic kidney disease so cannot even use voltarol gel on them as this affects his kidney function. He does daily exercises which the physio showed him and he tries to keep as mobile as possible but he is often in really severe pain and can only take paracetamol.

Can anyone suggest anything that might help relieve his pain?

Many thanks

Comments

• Hi @pagedm, and hello to your father-in-law! Welcome to the Online Community, it's lovely to have you here.

I see that you're looking for suggestions on pain relief for osteoarthritis in the knees, keeping in mind that this is for someone with chronic kidney disease.

I hope you'll find the following links helpful:

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee | Knee pain | Versus Arthritis

How to get NHS help for your pain - NHS (www.nhs.uk) - has your father-in-law considered asking his GP for a referral to a pain clinic?

It's great to hear that he is engaging in his physiotherapy, the exercises are helping to strengthen the surrounding muscles, taking stress off the knees, as well as stimulating natural lubrication of the joints, so I encourage him to keep up the good work. Some people with OA of the knees also find cycling and swimming help with their pain as they are low-impact on the knees with all the benefits of exercise.

Please keep us updated and enjoy being a part of our community, it's good to talk!

Best wishes, Sarah (moderator)

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

The poor man @pagedm and how lovely of you to come on and try to help.

One of my regular and go-to remedies is my warm wheatbag (the kind you microwave - if you haven't got one get a decent one not with a nasty nylon cover they 'sweat'!) in fact I have one on my back now as I type.

Sometimes cooling ice packs can help too or has he tried a tens machine. Some physio departments used to let you borrow one to try them out first before buying your own.

Take care