Living with RA

Hi I'm 57 and have recently back in March been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Everything feels really scary to me at the moment especially the future. I saw the rheumatologist last week who was absolutely disgusted that I haven't seen a doctor until now. He has put me on Prednisolone 20mg, I was wondering if anyone else are on this and what should I expect?

I had several x-rays carried out and more blood test on Tuesday, I'm back to see him on Thursday just wonder what type of life can I expect. Will I lead a relatively normal life with this disease. I feel really anxious and run down at the moment, unable to sleep at night. Can anyone shed any positivity on my situation as I'm finding it very difficult to deal with ?

Thank you.

Colin

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Hi Colin and welcome.

How much positivity would you like? I know I can be annoyingly positive but I've had RA since I was 15. I'm now 75. Since diagnosis I've acquired a degree, a husband, two sons and grandsons. I've been to California every year pre covid to visit one son and grandson.

OK. I've also acquired new knees and hips. There has been, at times, a lot of pain but there has also been so much happiness and achievements.

Prednisolone? Many of us feel cured when we take it. We're not. Don't be deceived. Nothing will actually cure RA but, once you get established on a disease modifying drug such as methotrexate, you should feel much better.

We have to be sensible - have regular blood tests, eat healthily, exercise sensibly if we want to be at our best but I promise you life with RA can be very good indeed.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Coombs
    Coombs Member Posts: 8

Thank you stickywicket, I've never been in so much pain b4 and it is unbearable, also I'm not sleeping, can anyone recommend anything that may help?

Many thanks

Colin

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Your GP would be the best person to ask but, if you're seeing the rheumatologist on Thursday, (s)he might help

You don't say what medications you currently take. There are several ones for pain relief. Some are available over the counter but it's always best to ask the pharmacist for advice as sometimes meds can't interact. Try to space pain relief out so that you can take some about half an hour before bed..

Pain from RA can be pretty horrendous so try not to think about it. Anything that distracts us from it - and this will be different for different people - is good. Concentrating on it literally makes it feel worse.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bloody love prednisone! Distraction defo helps. And keeping moving, even if it’s just having a little walk around. Seems impossible at the time but always seems to make me feel a bit better once I get going.