Not sure whether to continue with Buprenorphine pain/transdermal patch

Options

Hi,

I recently requested from my new doctor to try the stick on pain patches as I cannot tolerate naproxen, ibuprofen, amytryptiline, due to stomach problems, so far I tolerate paracetamols up to 8 per day quite regularly. I tried the patches for 1 week, not a tremendous amount of difference in pain level, but did take edge off only 5mg strength ., the only side effect i experienced was a very dry and sore mouth which did disappear after a few days, after reading the side effects I am concerned about possible weight gain, I'm really not sure what to do. Not sure but the new cooler weather has now increased pain levels, ankles, hips, shoulders most usual joint places and has been chronic, previously x-rayed hips and shoulder confirming OA, Mri'd to confirm OA in ankles which are very chronic, but I'm not being offered much further help there?

Just wondering would a pain clinic help me further, which the new doctor I think is sympathetic to.referring me if the patches don't help. I am 63 years female, also asthmatic, thank you

Comments

• Shaphron
    Shaphron Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hi @magicpainter

Personally I'd continue with the patches if they did have a positive effect. You're not guaranteed to get the side effects, so try them and if you do get weight gain then re-evaluate on whether the increase in weight is outweighed by the pain relief you experience. Don't stop using them because you might get a side effect. Just my thoughts.

Pain clinics are very helpful - the professionals there have more experience with patients with chronic pain than your GP or anyone else, so they have more suggestions and knowledge to help you with. I'd definitely go for it. If you could get a physio referral as well that'd completely round you out 😊

The cold always makes my joints hurt more too. Sometimes heat therapy can help - hot baths or showers, or heated pads. You can get microwavable, re-usable wheat-germ sacks which are lovely to use on an aching joint. Maybe give that a try?

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @magicpainter

I used the patches for a very long time and have only just stopped using them - probably 10 years? I liked them the fact that I could take paracetamol for a headache again and wake up in less pain only the 'being in the same position for too long type' 😊Less possibility of breakthrough pain as other meds were due for a top up.

They didn't cause me any weight gain, but 5mcg was too low for me for definite.

Pain clinics are always worth a try and like @Shaphron I never underestimate the power of my trusty wheat-bags. When out and about I often use the heat patches you stick on and buy from any supermarket.

• magicpainter
    Options

Really grateful for your reply so helpful, I will ask again for the pain clinic and keep trying to find some relief, not quite used to this forum so all the best x

• magicpainter
    Options

Thank you for your reply it really does help to share experiences of this type of pain medication and other ideas, I just feel I'm floundering at times when it's bad Lols

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Magicpainter

Thank you for your post on the forum and I am sorry about the delay in replying. I see that you have already received responses and advice from forum members. I am glad the patches appear to be helping you. Certainly you could ask your GP for a referral to a pain clinic. Pain clinics can offer a wide range of treatments and support and aim to support you in developing self help skills to control and relieve pain with treatments that may include exercise, medicine and pain relief injections as well as others. I have put a link below for the NHS website that has information about pain clinics.

NHS - Help for your pain

I see from your email that you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in certain joints. We have information on managing hip, shoulder and foot and ankle pain in the following link that may be helpful to you. Asking your GP for a referral to a physiotherapist for exercises and using warmth for your joints are just two ways of helping manage the pain.

Pain, treatments, Hips Shoulders and Foot and Ankle

We also have information about painkilling patches including potential side effects that may be helpful to you. If you are concerned about potential side effects then you can talk to your GP about these.

Opiod Painkilling Patches, information

I hope this information is helpful and you are very welcome to call us here on the helpline if you would like to talk things through and for more information. You can do this by contacting us on 0800 5200 520. We’re open from 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Best Wishes

Dawn Smith

Helpline Advisor