Painful right foot, swollen ankle joint, and toes looking different


I have had rheumatoid arthritis for along time, am on Methotrexate tablets weekly and RoActemra injections weekly. My right ankle joint has being painful and swollen for sometime, and my 4th and 5 th toes now have a small gap after my 3rd toe, at times if walking without shoes my toes seem to turn under and l trip. I was at my rheumatoid appointment (face to face at last) yesterday and spoke to the rheumatology nurse about this, after she had checked by other joints, she dismissed it and didn't look at my foot just said, you cant get rheumatoid arthritis in your feet . I find her very hard to talk to, and felt very stupid, l now dont know what to do or who to talk to ,and would be very grateful for any advice, Than you.


  • Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 800
    edited 1. Oct 2021, 17:32

    Hi @Worriedgranny

    Having had Rheumatoid Arthritis for a long time you obviously been coping with it. Its good you have just been for a check up with your Rheumatology nurse its a shame you feel stupid and demeaned. This is a link i have found regarding rheumatoid arthritis in your feet. also one on foot care.

    Hope these links help ,just a thought have you considered visiting a podiatric nurse they are very helpful and take great care of your feet aswell.

    Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on and do visit our forums to chat to others it often helps aswell as getting good advice and understanding as everyone on the forum have some form of Arthritis.

    All the best Christine

    Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

  • helpline_team

    Hi Worriedgranny

    Thank you for your post on the forum. As Christine has said it is good that you have been for a check up with your rheumatology team and I am sorry that you were left feeling stupid and demeaned. It can be very difficult when you feel unable to talk to your rheumatology nurse.

    As Christine has suggested seeing a podiatrist may be helpful. Podiatrists specialise in general foot care. They can give advice on footwear, information on how to treat foot problems yourself, and can provide special insoles. There may be a podiatrist in the rheumatology department where you receive your care, or you may get a referral to an NHS podiatrist. GPs can also refer you to community-based services.


    I see that Christine has provided links to information about feet and arthritis. There is more about this in our information about Rheumatoid Arthritis on the link below.


    Rheumatoid Arthritis, Causes, Symptoms, Treatments


    I hope this information is helpful.


    You can call us here on the helpline if you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline advisors. You can call us free on 0800 5200 520. We’re open from 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.


    Best Wishes


    Helpline Advisor