Hello Hip OA

Options
Jazzy
Jazzy Member Posts: 12
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello

Just received diagnosis of OA in right hip following xray. Had pain for 5 months, NHS progress slow so had private physio until last week, this week NHS physio via webcam with follow-up face to face appointment in 2 weeks.

I'm self employed gardener early 50s and my work (kneeling/squatting/bending) aggravates the hip so have reduced the hours I do and now thinking of closing down the garden maintenance side. If I switch to desk based work then conscious I need to get good info from physio on exercises/stretches in order to manage this situation.

I have pain which is largely bearable constant ache: at the moment I don’t want to follow the doctors advice of taking painkillers until I really need them.

As a child I had hip dysplasia with a dislocation treated by a hospital stay with traction. But no problems from then until now

I guess this is the start of my journey with OA and hopefully there will be some good support + advice on this site.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @Jazzy and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

You have recently been diagnosed with OA in your right hip, are having ongoing physio and would like to avoid pain killers for as long as possible. You’d appreciate some advice from forum members as you progress through your OA journey.

Well you’ve certainly come to the right place, the community will I’m sure be able to offer you some really useful input based upon their own experiences with arthritis.

In the interim, this link to our website suggests appropriate exercises as well as options for pain management:

You may also find it useful to participate in other ongoing discussions within the forum associated with your situation.

I hope you find joining the forum beneficial.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Jazzy
    Jazzy Member Posts: 12
    Options

Thanks Chris!