Septic arthritis

Hi my name is Jan. I experienced septic arthritis following a steroid injection in my knee at my GPs. Pain started 3 days later. Taken by ambulance to A&E 6 days after and diagnosed with cellulitis without blood tests but with aspiration. Diagnosed with SA on day 8 and had wash out on day 10. Your info talks about delays in diagnosis. Was this a reasonable timescale? Thanks

Comments

• Hi @JanSA

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum about septic arthritis. I am sorry to learn of your experience and I wish you well.

You ask if your diagnosis on day 8 and wash out on day 10 was a reasonable timescale following the onset of symptoms three days after your steroid injection. I can’t answer your question as I’m not medically trained. You would need a medical opinion on this.

I see you have found our information on septic arthritis. As you have read there, in most cases, early hospital treatment and antibiotics will successfully treat septic arthritis, leaving little or no lasting effects of the condition. I hope our information helps you to have an informed discussion with your GP, or other healthcare practitioner responsible for your treatment, about the speed of diagnosis and treatment in your case and the outlook now for you as an individual.

I hope this is helpful. If you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team you are very welcome to call us here on the helpline. Our contact number is 0800 5200 520 and we are open Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 6pm.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team