Coping with replacement hips and knees

Options

I’m thinking forward even though I haven’t yet been referred to a consultant for hip and knees replacement. My OA is a bad as it gets and I’m going round in circles.

The reason for my posting is I’m wondering how others cope post op with things like going up stairs and getting into a car. I’m really struggling with both now and I can’t imagine how I could get in and out of the car if I had new knees.

Would be interested in hearing the difficulties that may be waiting for me.

Comments

• Coddfish
    Coddfish Member Posts: 85
    Options

I am almost 5 weeks on from total hip replacement. No experience of knees. I spent 2 nights in hospital. They mobilise you really quickly after surgery, by the second morning I was walking with elbow crutches and was shown the technique for going up and down steps. It was fairly scary going up to bed when I got home, but it got easier after a day or two. Using a long loop elastic resistance band was the easiest method of helping the operated leg in and out of bed the first few times - something like a dressing gown belt would probably work just as well. I also bought a turning circle to help rotate when getting in and out of the car.

Not sure for knees, but things such as a sock aid and a long handled shoe horn have helped with dressing independence. If you need to wear compression socks then you can get a Rolly, a continuous ribbed tube of silicon, to help get them on and off. For hips, a raised toilet seat and a comfortable fairly high chair are essential.

Some of the above may also help you now

It all comes back together fairly quickly. At almost 5 weeks on, I am now in a better state than before surgery. Good luck.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Pinkorchid I had my left hip replaced just under three weeks ago. I was in hospital for two nights by which time they'd already progressed me from walking with a frame to walking with elbow crutches and climbing a flight of stairs. For getting in and out of a car I use a plastic carrier bag to make it easier to swivel. Provided the car is reasonably high there is no real problem if you're careful. Set the front passenger seat right back and recline the backrest to 45 degrees before getting in or out but return the back rest to upright when being driven. There are some online videos showing the techniques for climbing stairs and getting into a car. For example Google Nuffield and stairs. I practiced the techniques before my operation and had no problems after leaving hospital. Sorry but I've no experience of replacement knees.

• Pinkorchid
    Pinkorchid Member Posts: 17
    Options

Thank you for your experience it’s been very helpful…

• Rosiepup
    Rosiepup Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi Pinkorchid, I don't have any experience of hips, but I've had both knees replaced. As Coddfish and RogerBill have said, there's a technique for going up and down stairs so you put as little weight as possible on your operated knee, using your 'good' leg to do most of the work and whatever support aids you're provided with (I had 2 sticks). Getting in and out of a car wasn't too bad, so long as the car seat isn't too low down. Your operated knee will be swollen but you will have some movement and be able to bend it to some degree when you go home. It helps to have the car seat pushed back so you can keep your leg fairly straight. You'll be gradually improving every day, your movement will be getting better and it will start to get easier to do everything. Good luck.