Hello - searching for help, reassurance or something

MM6172
MM6172 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi

After months of mild to moderate thumb pain, it suddenly escalated 4 months ago. Nothing I did seemed to help. I’ve seen a physio and she says it’s mild arthritis and this is a flare up. I’m wearing a splint to immobilise it but it’s still very painful. I’m not yet 50 and have serious issues with my other hand due to an accident. I’m terrified that I’m going to end up disabled. I’m already struggling with daily tasks - never mind the things that used to bring joy. I’m still finding myself in floods of tears daily. Is this normal? Can anyone offer any hope or coping strategies?

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @MM6172 and welcome to the Online Community, great to have you here.

I understand the shock and upset you are experiencing from a flare of arthritis in your hand that is giving you pain in your hand, especially as your other hand is not as it was due to an accident. Initial advice is to do what you have already done: see a physiotherapist and wear a splint to support the hand.

There are some other things you might like to try, such as gentle exercises to keep your hands and wrist moving, try out heat/ice packs and so on. You can read more details here on our website:

Reassuringly, most cases of hand and wrist pain will not be a sign of a serious or long-term problem and will settle in a few days or weeks with some simple self-care you can do at home.

Do keep coming to the Online Community, join in, say how you are getting on and get support whenever you need it - you will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor