Modic 1 end plate changes- is this osteoarthritis?

My MRI says I have modic 1 endplate changes and low height disc height. This is at L5 S1. My doctor said I have Osteoarthritis- is it the same as Modic 1 end plate changes? I have had LBP since Jan 2018 and it is worse at night and when I get up in the morning. I have read that with Modic 1 I may have DDD. I had my MRI scan in May 19. Can I ask for another MRI to see how my condition is progressing?

Thanks Debbie

Comments

• Hi@DebbieL

Thanks for your post and sorry for the delay in replying. I wonder if you might ring us at the Helpline so we can perhaps support you better? Unfortunately you are reading off some things on the report which are highly technical and go beyond the scope of our training. We have some excellent information about osteoarthritis in the spine and we can perhaps find out from you what your daily self management routines are like.

In short it's really helpful to be doing your daily physiotherapy exercises, and following healthy eating to keep your weight down.

But if we speak to you we may be able to understand the context better and point you in the right direction.

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the spine | Back pain | Versus Arthritis

Exercising with arthritis | Top tips, specific exercises (versusarthritis.org)

Our number is 08005200520 9am - 6pm Mon-Fri.

All the best

Guy - Helpline Team

• DebbieL
    DebbieL Member Posts: 63

Hiya Guy,

Thanks for getting back to me. I suppose I want to really understand what is wrong. The doctor said I have osteoarthritis, but I feel I want to know more. I do ballet, tap, modern and stretch classes every week. They help with balance, muscle strength, posture and flexibility. Sometimes I find myself in pain afterwards but I feel “tired” and sleep better and my overall pain has reduced. I’m 5 ft 3 and weigh 10 stone. I’ll be 55 year next week.

I think for me understanding is acceptance and the more I know the better I would feel. Maybe a chat would be good for me.

Thanks

Debbie

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Do it @DebbieL I rang them when I was first struggling with Arthritis and getting diagnosed it really helped.

They were so kind....I just bawled😳 for the first 10 minutes!

Felt much better afterwards.