new here

Options
cmjoyce
cmjoyce Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

I have osteoarthritis of the ankle, and also the hands. Now waiting for an appointment as I think I may have it in the hip. The most painful thing I am finding is trying to turn over in bed. Almost impossible.. Was this a problem any of you found?

Thank you

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211
    Options

Hi @cmjoyce firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have had Osteoarthritis for some time in your ankle and hands but awaiting for confirmation if this has spread to your hips. Specifically you are looking for advice on hip pain and sleeping.

The site is full of information and I wanted to signpost you to some information leaflets that could help, linked to as a starter general information on hip osteoarthritis, which includes specifics on exercises, strengthening and sleep. Then some useful hints and tips for helping sleep / bed routine.

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help offer some useful suggestions.

Take care and I hope you get some relief and answers soon.

Thanks

Joe

• PamB
    PamB Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi, I’m new here too. I find getting comfortable in bed difficult as I have pain in my left hip and right side of ribs. Usually sleep on my back occasionally going on the side until it starts to hurt. I used to have severe swelling in my knee which meant turning over was really painful. I used to do it slowly by pressing both knees together and also supporting this with my hands so that the other knee supported the swollen one.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,637
    Options

Hi @PamB welcome to the Online community, (apologies to @cmjoyce for hijacking your thread, but I just need to welcome PamB).

How lovely that your first post is trying to help someone else.

This article is full of other people's tips for sleeping well:

Extra difficult in your case with having pain on both sides of your body. Some people try 'V' pillows to support themselves more comfortably i case you haven't tried one.

Please do come along in and join the Community anywhere you feel comfortable. If you feel you want to share any more about yourself with our members that would be lovely too.

Best wishes

Ellen.