Etoricoxib not working. How long should it take?

Options

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any success stories (or not!) with etoricoxib.

I was taking the maximum dose of over-the-counter ibuprofen for a few weeks and although it definitely didn't make most of the pain go away, I noticed an improvement in some of my newer symptoms, such as the stabbing jaw pains, dull ache and tenderness in lower back, and tendonitis-like pain in my arms.

I have now been taking Etoricoxib for a week and have noticed that my jaw is more painful again, and additionally the other side starts grinding when I eat sometimes. My lower back is hurting again, elbows feel bruised all the time and I have also noticed my ankles and one of my knees are swollen. I spoke to a rheumatologist on the phone a few days ago and she said just keep taking it, and seemed surprised when I said it was less effective than ibuprofen.

I've read that the anti inflammatory effects can take a while to build up but the painkilling effects are supposed to start pretty quickly. I always have to stop reading after a while because most of the internet is just saying "don't take etoricoxib!" because of how dangerous it is for your heart. I have also read the page about NSAIDs and anti-inflammatories on the Versus Arthritis site many times over!

Wondering how long I should keep taking it before trying to demand something else or just going back to ibuprofen?

Comments