Hip Replacement

Options

Did anyone here have the SPAIRE procedure with mini posterior approach? As far as I understand it, with this tendon/muscle sparing replacement, no hip precautions are necessary after surgery. Just interested to know people's experience. Thank you.

Comments

• Coddfish
    Coddfish Member Posts: 85
    Options

I had a standard posterior surgery almost 7 weeks ago, which resulted in a 10 inch half moon dilated cut on my thigh. I have heard there is less need for surgery with an anterior approach, where the cut is on your abdomen. I think with all these alternatives, the key thing is having a surgeon who is comfortable and experienced in the method - as well as it being suitable for you. Restricted access for the surgeon introduces other risks.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

the key thing is having a surgeon who is comfortable and experienced in the method

My surgeon made exactly this point.

He also said post op recovery should be seen as a marathon not a sprint because long term performance of the hip should be the main aim rather than speed of recovery. So it's best to take time to do the exercises properly and build up walking gradually.