Car recommendations

Options

Hi it looks as though I'm going to have to get rid of my current car as getting in and out the car is really too low to deal with my dodgy knees. What I'm looking for is anybody who can give me a recommendation for a not too expensive, probably getting it second-hand, car that has a fairly high seat and I can swing my leg out without feeling like I'm doing some kind of awful yoga move!😆

Thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

One thing I can wholeheartedly recommend is to try before you buy no matter what anyone, including myself😉 suggests. Even though we might also have very dodgy knees, we are all very different.

Having said that, my husband had to consign his beloved 24yr old Avensis to the great scrapyard in the sky last week. He's still in mourning but the garage had a 10yr old Yaris just in and were kind enough to drive it round so that I could try it and also check that my wheelchair would fit it. It's perfect. The seat is, I think, marginally higher than the Avensis which wasn't low

I still wouldn't advise you to go and get one without trying it but this is perfect for me and Mr SW is now referring to it as 'the baby Avensis'. i think he's hoping it'll grow😁

Do remember also the value of a simple supermarket bag or other bit of polythene. It makes moving round the seat much easier.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

I have a Nissan Juke the seat is lovely and high and doesn't do my back in.

It fits a small standard fold up wheelchair in the bottom boot and has one above that for shopping.

Having said how pleased I am with this I have to agree with @stickywicket 100% you must must must try it and not for 10 minutes ideally an hour or more if you can.

There is a thingy you can use to help you stand up:

There are other makes like this and you can try a swivel seat too to make turning on the seat to face the door easier.

Best of luck and have fun looking!

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

@Anjeda It's a shame seat height dimensions aren't published. But you can get some idea by comparing the overall height of your current car with others. The car manufacturer's website gives this information and websites like whatcar.com are useful sources of height and other data.

As others have said it's vital you take a test drive of an hour or more because only then will you be able to assess the comfort of the seat and suspension. We're all different and comfort is a really personal choice. With our increasingly poor road surfaces cars which have a hard or sporty ride can be extremely uncomfortable for arthritic hips and backs. If your budget will allow, heated seats and electrically operated seats are a real benefit on long journeys.

• Coddfish
    Coddfish Member Posts: 85
    Options

SUV and crossover style cars are generally higher and therefore have higher seats. Higher spec cars tend to have more functions and gizmos so are more likely to bring the ability to raise and lower the seat. Something like a cheap turning circle (two circles of fabric that rotate on each other) can make getting in and out easier, you can achieve the same thing with a plastic bag so long as you remove it once in position. On @RogerBill’s point about cars with a sporty ride potentially being uncomfortable, it’s worth also considering whether a softer ride would bring other unintended consequences such as travel sickness. As someone prone to travel sickness, I would personally choose firm handling every time, especially as a passenger.

• Anjeda
    Anjeda Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you everybody for your advice there are certainly lots of things for me to think about

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 702
    Options

One other thing you might consider is the number of doors. I've a 2 door hatchback and my wife has a 4 door. I find it much easier to get out of my car as it has a longer door and wider opening. The downside of that is parking in car parks.

• frsrgrdn2
    frsrgrdn2 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I changed my car from an Audi A4 to a Ford Kuga. The A4 I basically had to pull and manoeuvre myself out of , also I had to fall into seat. The Ford Kuga I can sit on seat once door is open without lowering at all. Getting out is so much easier. There are thousands of second hand models. I got a 5 year old with 40k miles for 10.5 k. Funnily enough it was a registered mobility car prior to me buying it.

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @frsrgrdn2 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope you find that as well.

Our website contains a lot of useful information and I would suggest you have a look around and try out the search function as well. As an example I've put a couple of links in below.

Choice of car is a very personal thing but high seats do tend to make it easier getting in and out. I think I once was in a car where they swivel round as well but can't remember the make, only that I thought what a good idea it was.

Please do keep posting and I am sure that others will connect with you as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

@Anjeda I've just found this really useful website: https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/choosing-car/car It gives key dimensions like seat edge to ground and legroom when getting in a car. Data is given for many cars which are or have been on sale in the UK over the past 10 years or so.