Hi

Options
Peted87
Peted87 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone, my name is Pete, 34 from the North east.

Looking for some guidance and tips to help myself following some bad RA flare ups lately.

I'll also pitch in with anything I can help with 🙂.

Thanks 😊

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

@Peted87 - welcome to the online community!

I see you have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and you're looking for some advice for coping with flare ups as you've had some bad ones recently.

Flares can cause difficulties for anyone, and it really helps when you have others to talk to who have had similar experiences. Versus Arthritis does have some information which may be helpful:

A lot of our members have had flares, and it's a real impetus to work our what strategies work for you. You may find heat pads help (I have an electric heated neck collar (does shoulders and neck) and I like heated sacks which go in the microwave) or you may find cold packs work better. Often, if you have more inflammation then cold may be better, but that's not a hard rule. During a flare you may have to take more painkillers - especially before bed to make sure you can sleep as well as you can. It may be worth investigating if any pain relieving gels or creams work for you - I tried 3 or 4 different brands until I found the one which did work, so it's definitely worth keeping trying.

There's also exercises for your joints which can help reduce pain and increase long term mobility, which can help generally. Do make sure you don't exercise if it causes pain, and you can always ask for a referral to a physiotherapist to get personalised recommendations. If necessary, you should be able to refer yourself to a physio.

I'm sure some of our members may well have more personnel tips for what they do in a flare. My best advice would be to remember that it's not permanent and will pass, and look after yourself when you need it. Sometimes it's best to put yourself first.

It's lovely to meet you!

Shell