Do knee strengthening exercises help with knee buckling or knee's popping out out

Hi can strengthening exercises for the knee help with buckling and knees popping out Iam so scared of my knees giving way and i do knee strengthening exercises everyday do these help to prevent buckling and popping out I have osteoarthritis in both knees they haven't given away or popped out yet does this always happen or do the exercises help thank you

Comments

•  

Hi @Blueskyday68

Thank you for posting on the forum

I’m sorry to hear of the fear you are experiencing of your knees giving way, though really glad to hear that you are doing strengthening exercises every day. Exercise can strengthen the muscles around your knee, which in turn can help to improve your posture and help you to lose weight if you need to. You’ll need to find the balance between rest and activity which can sometimes be easier said than done.

I am wondering if you have seen a physiotherapist, if not it might be a good idea to ask your GP for a referral. The physiotherapist area of expertise is exercise, and he/she would be able to offer you a tailor made programme which too may be helpful for you.

I wonder if it might help you to call us on our helpline:  0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am-6pm) here we could talk to you about the concerns you have of your knees giving way. We can take our time to talk informally and in confidence.

I have given you a link to our knee exercises that you might like to take a look at and our Osteoarthritis of the knee information.  

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline Team

• Blueskyday68
    Blueskyday68 Member Posts: 95
    edited 28. Oct 2021, 14:57

Hi hi thanks for the reply my eye have seen a physiotherapist and he gave me some exercises to do and my knees haven't give away yet I'm just wondering whether it happens to everybody that suffer with knee OA or not what I know the strengthening exercises help but do knees give way with knee osteoarthritis and am I exercising in vain if they are going to only give way on me me me

• Hi @Blueskyday68

Thank you for your reply, I can see that you would like to see the experiences of others. Please re post on our 'living with arthritis' forum, where you will receive more responses.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline Team