Will heavy exercise damage my back? When it is safe to use the gym.

Options

I have seen a recent article by Kelly on the fb group about going to the gym. In the photo she is lifting quite heavy weights. There are a few posts I've read about different types of heavy exercise and I am unsure of how to apply this to my life. I have mild osteoarthritis in my spine and a slight scoliosis. The Dr who diagnosed me was an anesthesilogist and he quite categorically told me never to use the gym again and to avoid all exercise involving impact of any kind. Can anyone hear please clarify from either personal experience or more in depth knowledge why it would not be safe to use weights? I understood that the back will still repair itself but create more issues over time if overused or damaged as it will grow repair differently than someone's back without arthritis. But then does that suppose that all weight lifting would damage the back? I'm intrigued by the idea of getting stronger again to protect my spine and I'm not sure how to go about it. As a lot of you have also probably experienced I seem to be getting very different information from different sources. Thanks in advance for any Information.

Kind regards

George.

Comments