Gabapentin

Options

Any advice on the best time to take Gabapentin. I start today with one tablet, two tomorrow and three the day after. From then on I take three a day.

I have been taking Zapain with little relief other than a good night's sleep!

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @Jane63c - welcome to the online community!

I see you have Osteoarthritis and you have been prescribed Gabapentin, and you're looking for advice on how best to take it. You've recently been taking Zapain (Co-codamol) which hadn't been helping you.

I've had a look at the NHS website,m and the advice there is to take your 3 doses spaced out evenly throughout the day. For example, first thing in the morning, early afternoon and at bedtime.

Have a look for yourself here:

I'd also have a look at our page on Osteoarthritis - specifically the sections on Managing Symptoms and the Tips for Managing Pain. I've found them really helpful myself!

If the pain stays bad you can always ask for a referral to a pain clinic from your GP, or take a look at our exercises or general tips on pain relief.

Do please have a look around the rest of the community and see if there is anything else you find interesting or any other questions you want to ask.

Lovely to meet you!

Shell

• Jane63c
    Jane63c Member Posts: 16
    Options

Thank you that is helpful. My only experience of Gabapentin was for my dog. He now has magical monthly injections of something called Librela- I wish there was a human version as it has transformed his well-being!

I need to get my head round the pain and hope this forum will be useful.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Jane63c,

Thank you for posting on the Helpline forum about the timing of your Gabapentin medication. Shell_H has given a helpful response and links to information on the NHS and Versus Arthritis websites.

The NHS website has provided helpful guidance about taking Gabapentin. However, it is always best to check with your own healthcare professional who is aware of your individual clinical circumstances and other medications you are taking. Care is needed as some chemicals can interact with each other. We are not medically trained. Talking things through with your pharmacist as well as your GP may help. Your GP can review your pain medication and help you to explore other treatment options.

It can be a struggle living with the pain of arthritis. As Shell_H mentioned, referral to a pain clinic may be worth considering. Referral to a physiotherapist may also be helpful for an assessment and advice about exercise. The right kind of exercise, a little and often, eating a healthy balanced diet and maintaining a healthy weight can all help to make a difference to how you feel.

If at any point you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 520 0520 weekdays 9am – 6pm.

I hope the information given below on managing your symptoms and pain medication will be of some help. 

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor 

• Jane63c
    Jane63c Member Posts: 16
    Options

Thank you, I am waiting for physiotherapy to start. I have been told I can’t have a referral to pain clinic until we have 3xhausted th3 primary care options 🤔 I will discuss with the physio. Currently trying to do some of the exercises I have been sent.