Steroid injection

Options

Had my first appointment with rheumatoid consultant this week and he gave me a steroid injection in the upper arm muscle. I didn't think to ask how this works or for how long. I'm also taking nsaid. The swelling has gone down considerably in my hands but the knees are still swollen and sore. Will be contacted by rheumatology nurse in a fortnight to move on to dmard. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

Unfortunately, that's the way with steroid jabs. Sometimes they work for some people, possibly, if you're lucky, for 2-3 months. There are no guarantees. DMARDS are more reliable. I take two, methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I hope whatever you're given helps.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Sounds as though they are using the intra muscular steroid jab like they did with me on my first consult. If it helps - at all and yours has with reduced swelling - they told me it meant my arthritis was inflammatory. Mine was in my butt though😳

Good luck starting your DMARD in a couple of weeks I hope you get a good response.

Take care

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 113
    Options

Thanks for the info. Knees are now also improving, with reduced swelling and I'm sleeping a bit better. Still get quite tired doing things I wouldn't have thought twice about a few weeks ago, but hopefully I'll be able to get back to strength if I go slowly.