Covid Vaccination Trial and Methotrexate

Kazza52
Kazza52 Member Posts: 74
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone,

I saw on the BBC red button "Health" Section last night that trials are being conducted to see whether people who are taking Methotrexate would benefit from having a break of taking their medication for two weeks and having their COVID vaccines as Methotrexate affects the immune system and people who are on this medication are prone to a higher risk of infections, etc.

I have been on Methotrexate since 2016 and have had all my COVID jabs plus the booster and the flu jab and have done all I can to protect myself. However, leaving Methotrexate off for two weeks would surely affect people's conditions and especially if like me people suffer from RA, the symptoms would return.

Methotrexate is a dangerous drug and needs to be strictly monitored and my hospital team had told me that this drug cannot be stopped just like that. Two weeks does seem extreme.

I am pleased to see that the medical profession/scientists are now helping people like me who take Methotrexate by doing these clinical trials but I think most clinically vulnerable people have had the vaccines/boosters and surely this trial should have been instigated when the vaccines were first rolled out. What do you all think?

Stay safe everyone

Kazza xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

The vaccines were, necessarily, rolled out in a rush and the important thing was to get us vaccinated.

People's stories and experiences differ and I can see that some would be scared of not taking their meth for a couple of weeks but I've always been told not to take it if I have an infection of any kind to allow the immune system to fire up a bit to fight it.

When I had a THR the surgeon told me to leave off it for about 6 weeks beforehand and I was about 3 weeks in before I noticed a difference though, admittedly, my hip was so bad at the time I was barely doing anything and I'd already been on meth for about ten years. I resumed the meth, post-op with no problems. By the time of my knee revision (same surgeon) he said to just leave it off for a couple of weeks as they now didn't think it made much difference.

I guess it's all about balance - getting the most protection from the jabs so as not to get covid which would surely do us far more damage than omitting DMARDS for a week or two. Life with arthritis is never simple.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • KathP
    KathP Member Posts: 2

I have had several skin cancer operations (one which was 8 hours long) over lockdown and take Methotrexate and Adilimumab (Imraldi) but was never told to stop my meds before the operations. I have had three vaccines so far and again hadn’t heard about the advice to stop the Methtrexate before the jabs. I didn’t notice any side effects.

I am due my Booster after 22nd Dec but don’t know how to get it. Last time my consultant rang me the day before the Booster vaccines were started and told me to go straight way. Hoping that will happen again. Can’t check as there is only an answerphone service at Rheumo Dept and it says don’t ring them re vaccines. Patience is a virtue I suppose.

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 443

@KathP I had the same challenge, but found my GP through HM Gov instruction, has set up urgent vaccination for autoimmune patients. I am due on the 19th, please try your gp again. Hope it works out.