Newly diagnosed in hand

Options
JanPan
JanPan Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone, just saying hello as a newbie.

I was diagnosed 2 days ago with osteoarthritis in my hands. I'm feeling worried and depressed so I thought I'd join this group to ask other people's advice on what I'm best to do. I'm scared I'm going to lose the use of my hands completely.

The rheumatologist recommended using thermoskin gloves - does anyone else have experience of these and can you recommend a decent brand please? Thank you!

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello @JanPan and welcome to the online community

I am glad you found us and hope that we can offer you support with the new diagnosis of osteoarthritis in your hands. Many of us when we are first diagnosed ask lots of what if's. So give yourself some time to absorb the news and the information and please come back with more questions anytime. I attach some links which I hope you will find useful

One of the key messages is to keep your joints as healthy and flexible as possible. The exercises programmes on the community are for you to try and to adapt to suit your pain levels and lifestyle. Many members find them extremely useful. There are a variety of appliances that you can look , but often some thing as simple as heat and / or cold pads give relief to inflamed joints.

I do not have personal experience of thermoskin gloves but I expect there are members who may have tried them.

If you would find it helpful to talk to someone the Helpline is available Monday to Friday 9.00 - 6.00 p.m. 0800 5200 520

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.