Arthritis/Hypothyroidism

Options
Granville14
Granville14 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi all,

Im new here, just looking for information from others. I have osteoarthritis in my knees, hips, pelvis and hands, just had a back X-ray. I also have symptoms of Hypothyroidism but just can’t seem to get a diagnosis. My sister has same symptoms but has been put on thyroxin and is doing very well, she also has arthritis. Just wondered if anyone else come across this connection?

Thank you

Granville 14

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hi @Granville14 and welcome to the online community,

You’ve been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis and are also experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism. You are interested to know if anyone else has come across this connection.

There is a little information online that suggests that there is a link between Rheumatoid arthritis and hypothyroidism due to them both being autoimmune diseases, but I can find nothing about a possible link with Osteoarthritis. The NHS website has some useful information on hypothyroidism, including how to get a diagnosis. Perhaps you could ask for a thyroid function test if you are having trouble getting a diagnosis?

You might also be interested to read the Versus Arthritis webpage on living with Osteoarthritis- it has some useful self-help tips that can make life easier.

Do have a look round the forum and join in wherever you’re comfortable.

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm