Probiotics

Options

I’ve read quite a few medical papers/journals regarding the effective use of probiotics in RA. What are peoples thoughts on this? Do any of you use/have used them and if so what do you think?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

It's complicated, Stuart. I'm sure there'd be no harm, and possibly some good, in taking a daily yogurt but, if you're thinking of trying the pills, do consult first with your pharmacist to ensure there'll be no interactions with your prescribed meds.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6213508/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I’ve been following with interest the emergence of understanding the importance of gut biome on so many health conditions, which takes things a step further than simply “eating a healthy diet”. But as @stickywicket says, it’s complicated, and relatively speaking it’s a field of research that is still in its infancy.

I suspect this research will gain a lot more traction in future years and become targeted towards specific conditions and variations in people’s natural (genetic?) biomes. Meanwhile, there’s no harm in live yoghurts, but approach more expensive alternatives with a healthy dose of medical caution, and scepticism about the claims some of these make. There are a lot of ruthless snake oil peddlers out there.