Timing of hip replacement

buzzyhornet
buzzyhornet Member Posts: 20
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Is there a best time of year to have a hip replacement? What is it like to recover over the winter months as I have an early date in December for surgery, although I can out this back to April when the weather may be less inclement. Thank you for posting in reply.

Comments

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223

Hi @buzzyhornet I had my hip replacement in September. Generally my inclination would be to have the op sooner rather than later. The future is unknowable and by delaying there is a risk that the Covid situation or your hip might get worse. On the other hand I do find it more difficult to motivate myself to get out and walk in the colder weather and shorter hours of daylight. But with warm winter clothing it's doable providing snow or ice doesn't make walking difficult. I have an exercise bike in the garage which from six weeks post op the physiotherapist said I could use as an alternative to walking. So far I've not found the need to use the exercise bike but it's good to have it as a backup alternative.

• Coddfish
    Coddfish Member Posts: 85

Hi @buzzyhornet I had my hip replaced in September. My inclination would be to get it done as soon as you can, you never know what the next few months will bring. Obviously (depending on when your operation is) you may be in some discomfort from the operation over Christmas, but I am guessing you have discomfort now anyway. Other than icy ground, there’s no reason why you can’t get out over winter. Good luck.

• buzzyhornet

Many thanks to both Coddfish and Roger Bill for your helpful comments and for your time and consideration. Much appreciated.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I had mine done in April but to be honest by then I was in so much pain I would have taken any date they could offer. I'll be honest, the good weather really did help get me out and walking again, and since the winter's closed in, it's been much harder to keep up the good work and keep making progress (I've had an abnormally slow recovery for various atypical reasons).

There is a risk in delaying your surgery as Coddfish and Rogerbill said, and you never know if there's going to be another lockdown which could add 6 -12 months to your wait, as the Xmas 2020 one did to mine - I'd already waitied over a year by then. I ended up having to go privately, I was so desperate. If you can invest in some warm waterproof clothing, I think in your position I'd get it done asap, as you never know what can happen between now and April.

• buzzyhornet

Thank you Lilymary. I appreciate your advice and willingness to help me. Much appreciated.

• Pingu
    Pingu Member Posts: 7

I’ve just had mine this October - waited two years on the NHS list and then gave up and went private. I’d say summer would probably be easier with getting out to exercise, but I agree with the others that just getting a date is important now. At least I can tuck up in the warm and Christmas shop online! Best of luck to you and please let me know if you need any advice

• Hi I had my hip replacement yesterday. I used my pension lump sum to go private, as the wait on the NHS is incredibly long, and would agree you should go with the first date they offer you. Today I am walking around and had a shower this morning. I am a bit sore and stiff, but that aching and stiffness has gone. They are really impressed with my walking, and I think it helped that I did all the hip exercises and Aqua aerobics regularly before the operation.

good luck

• Pingu
    Pingu Member Posts: 7

Nannanorman congratulations, you sound like you’re doing great - I didn’t get up until day 3! Best of luck with the rest of your recovery :)

• Geraldine
    Geraldine Member Posts: 18

Any News on NHS HiP Replacements in Cardiff area of South.Wales..? Three year on , Consultant saw me ( pressure by GP ) to re- instate my Nov 8th appointment , showing both hips bone to bone.....signed consent form for Consultants operating list Jan 2020 , but with current new virus who knows. Would be delighted to have option of delaying, but now in a wheelchair.

Consultants hair has turned white since I last saw him two years ago in a private appointment capacity.

His only comment to me was that I was not overweight or male.....

Heard on grapevine that some hip ops being done privately here, are so rushed and out the door, that infections etc are r dealt with by the NHS at UHW Heath Cardiff.....What a situation..no comment

• Coddfish
    Coddfish Member Posts: 85

Congratulations @nannanorman on reaching the other side. All the best for your recovery.