RA and Cachexia

Hi all

Just thought I would ask the question. Has anyone been diagnosed with Cachexia?

I ask because when by RA started, I lost 10 kg quite quickly. I looked quite thin even seeing my ribs and losing muscle. And losing strength.

Two years later I have only put 4 kg back on although i have got my appetite back (since I stopped taking methotrexate 6 weeks ago. This is when I started to gain a little weight and some strength.

I would be interested if anyone has experienced similar. Thanks.

Stay safe.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Sandgrownen

I also lost a load of weight when my sero-negative arthritis started. I think I lost my appetite and had to make myself eat really in order to take medication I needed. I thought it was a known symptom, but a lot of people complain of weight gain. I have always thought that happened if we become less mobile.

It is listed here as a symptom.

I hope hope your weight will even out now you are off the MTX.

• Sandgrownen
    Sandgrownen Member Posts: 17

Hi frogmorton

Thanks for your comment.

I have since seen my Consultant and he does not seem concerned.

I stopped taking Methotrexate 6 weeks ago because I was pooing blood. Though this has stopped now. Apart from the above I have seen no change in my condition and no withdrawal symptoms either.

The consultant suggested the injection version of methotrexate, but I want to wait and see how things go. I have got my appetite back now so the weight should start to come back. Thanks.

Stay safe