Recent hospital visit.

Hi I’m desperate for some help, I’ve had osteoarthritis since the age of 18 when I had trapeziectomy in both hands. I have it in my knee and waiting for a knee replacement. The past 6 months I’ve had chronic pains in both my hips, after X-rays I was referred to orthopaedics, the surgeon said the cause was that the muscle in both hip joints have calcified and turned to bone, I’m having an MIR and he said he will decide the best treatment after that. I’ve never heard of this and I’m so worried that I’m going to be left in this chronic pain.


  • Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 721
    edited 6. Dec 2021, 10:53

    Hi @Hillbrow47

    I am sorry to read that you are struggling with chronic pain in your hips. You do not say whether the surgeon prescribed any pain relief, or maybe your GP has suggested some medication or treatment to ease your hip and knee joints. They are obviously the key people to advise the next step after the MIR helps with a diagnosis.

    Many of our members use heat and or cool packs for some relief as well as some gentle exercise to keep the joints as flexible as possible. I hope this link provides some useful information

    The community forums contain a great variety of information and support, so do browse round the discussions and join in with us. We are here to support you, so do let us know how you are getting on.

    Take Care


    If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

    Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

  • Hi @Hillbrow47

    Thank you for reaching out in the forum, thank you @Poppyjane for your reply.

    I am so sorry to hear how much pain you are in and how much this is affecting you, which is totally understandable. There is a variety of useful information on our website,  you can look specifically at hand, knee, hip pain and information on calcification under About Arthritis,  I have added the link below to the information on hips as this seems to be your main concern.  If you haven’t already it may be worth asking to be referred to a pain management programme, or a hand specialist or physiotherapist. Do look at the section on In Your Area to see if there is a local support group you can join, if this would work for you,  a great form of support to be with others that understand.

    Everyone is so different and it’s finding ways that work for you, healthy eating, movement, sleep, mindfulness, listening to your body. Strengthening and stretching muscles around an affected joint can help, all our recent videos are on our website and YouTube channel, doing a small amount of exercise on a regular basis will help the inflamed tissues return to normal.

    I hope you find what works for you, and I hope the MRI helps and you receive the correct treatment. Talking to someone else is always a great help, so please do call our helpline, 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am – 6pm.

     Kind Regards

    Sarah, Helpline advisor