Prednisolone

Options
Tilly81
Tilly81 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Has anyone tapered off 5mg prednisolone?, or stopped taking it. I've been on it 2 years.

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @Tilly81

Welcome to the online community. I hope that you will find this a friendly and space space to share your story and ask questions.

So you are have Rheumatoid Arthritis and take 5mg prednisolone and have been for the last 2 years. You are wondering if anyone has ever tapered off that dose or stopped taking it altogether.

Firstly I must advise not coming off it without speaking to your rheumatologist first. You really shouldn't make any changes to your medications without seeking medical advise first. I know that being on steroids long term can be incredibly frustrating but you must consider your heath first.

I cant stress enough how important it is to speak to your rheumatologist first before changing anything.

Here is a link to information about Prednisolone that you may find of interest.

I hope these are of help to you. Please do let us know how you are getting on and feel free to get involved with the other discussions going on within the community.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Loads of us have tapered off of steroids and stopped, but it has to be done very slowly and will the help of a Dr too.

They should be able to prescribe you some lower dose tablets to help the reduction.

It won't be fun, but it can be done and is really worth it. Steroids are such a double edged sword aren't they? The damage they cause long term is quite scary.

Do let us know how you get on

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 444
    Options

@Tilly81 I am on 2.5mg pred at night. It takes the edge off, and at that low dose, makes me drowsy. Unlike MTX, which gives me sleepless nights even at 5mg