Discharged from physio

Mastbury
Mastbury Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, I am new to the group and wondered if anyone could give me some advice please. I have been told I have advanced patella osteoarthritis in my right knee but throughout physio I have struggled with my right knee which is now also giving way. I was told many years ago the arthritis is in both knees. My physio is now discharging me and it appears I am being told to go back to the GP rather than orthapeadics if I have any problems. I have also only been told to take paracetamol. Can anyone let me know please if this is normal to be discharged back to the GP even though the arthritis is advanced? Can I also ask if the menopause can advance your arthritis? Thank you in advance of your support it is much appreciated.

Comments

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131

my arthritis got worse over last 2 years and the pathway I took was to raise with the GP that it was worse and ask him to refer me back to orpho surgeons.

I saw the consultant-he sent me for MRI & Xray then when saw him again was put on list for knee replacement

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    edited 11. Dec 2021, 14:53

Hello @Mastbury

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. I hope that you will find this a safe and friendly space. We are always looking to make new friends so please feel free to join in with anything that is of interest to you.

So you have advanced Osteoarthritis in your patella and are being discharged from physio. Whilst you were attending physio you found that you right knee has deteriorated to the point that it is now giving way. You were told many years ago that you have osteoarthritis in both knees. When talking to the physio, they have advised to go back to GP. You are also wondering if the menopause can advance your arthritis.

I believe this is quite common across the NHS trusts theses days. Your GP tends to be the gateway to all other services, or at least that's how it appears to be. Unfortunately that does mean there is a lot of waiting for appointments to come through depending on your area. However, if you are finding that the pain is not being controlled by the paracetamol, you can ask your GP to try something else.

With regards to the menopause advancing arthritis, it is not something that I am aware of but we are all different and our bodies react differently. I would be interested in what other members have to say about this though. Its certainly a great topic for a discussion.

Below is a couple of links that you find useful with regards to your pain and a bit more information on osteoarthritis of the knee.

I hope these will be of help to you.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi @Mastbury

Welcome to the forum from me too 🙂

You are going to have to be quite firm and assertive with your GP to get referred to orthopaedics and that has to be the next step for you now you have tried physio.

GPs are in the unenviable position of gatekeeping services, but you need to point out that you have tried everything physio has to offer and request an orthopaedic opinion.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.