COVID booster and methotrexate

Onthemove
Onthemove Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and started on methotrexate two weeks ago. I’m due to have my COVID booster on Monday but I’m also due to take my third dose on methotrexate on the same day.

My question is can I have both on the same day?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Hi @Onthemove, welcome to the online community! It’s nice to meet you.

I see you’ve been recently diagnosed with RA and have been prescribed methotrexate, which you’re wondering if you can take on the same day as your COVID-19 booster jab.

None of the available covid vaccines are ‘live’, so the general advice is that they should be safe to get with medicines that suppress your immune system, which includes methotrexate. Please bare in mind we are not medically trained, so do ask a medical professional if you have concerns.

The only real issue is that, being immune-suppressed, you may not produce antibodies to the same level. This means the vaccination may not give you quite as much protection as it otherwise would, so many people choose to be cautious where possible and keep up the social distancing, handwashing, and mask-wearing in addition to the booster.

Here's some more information from Versus Arthritis. There is a section called "Could my medication or condition mean I can’t have the COVID-19 vaccine?" that you may find useful:

Best wishes, Sarah (moderator)

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

You are in a difficult position.

1. You've only recently started meth.

2. The omicron variant is virulent.

We old hands are advised to stop our meth for a couple of weeks after the jab but that might not be a good idea for you. I think it's essential you contact your rheumatology helpline for advice. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright