Covid Vaccine - third dose, booster and Humira

Junglee
Junglee Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi. I have rheumatoid disease which well controlled by methotrexate and Humira. I understand the advice from JCVI is that people who are severely immunosuppressed should receive a third dose of vaccine followed by a booster, which I think is being recommended at 3 months after third dose, though I may have got that wrong.

I had my third jab in early October, but it has been recorded as a booster, rather than a third dose, and the staff at my surgery were somewhat confused when I tried to explain that I may need a fourth dose. Please can you advise? If the gap is meant to be around 3 months, then my third jab will be due in early January. How do I make sure it isn't missed?

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @Junglee  

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. 

I see that you suffer with RA and have so far received three doses of the vaccine. Your interpretation of the guidance from JCVI versus feedback from your surgery has left you somewhat confused. 

If you click on the link below it will take you to the relevant page on our website which should help clarify things. It includes the following text: 

“In September 2021, the JCVI announced that people who had severely suppressed immune systems at the time of their first and second doses of the vaccine should be offered a third dose. This is not a booster dose, but an additional dose to increase your protection from COVID-19. People with suppressed immune systems will then be eligible for their booster three months after they have had their third primary dose.” 

I hope that the above is useful. If you have any further queries then please do post again and I’m sure that other forum members will be able to help. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273

Hi @Junglee

Im in the same boat as you.

my third booster jab was done in mid October at my hospital where i work. there was much confusion at the time country wide, and as far as i can tell no one i spoke too knew anything about a third full primary dose instead of the booster.

I had mine on 18th oct and the same day i got home i had a NHS letter saying not to have the booster but to have a full third primary dose. but then at the bottom of the letter it said if you have already had a booster class this as your third dose.

i took the letter into my vacination hub and spoke to a doctor and pharmacist and both said, dont worry as they are exactly the same thing.

Ive got my Infliximab/Remsina infusion on wednesday and consultant (finally face to face, yay) appt early january so i will do some digging and try and find out how we go about getting our next booster jab even though both our cards will have booster done in october written on them.

• Junglee
    Junglee Member Posts: 3

Hi @MrDJ

I think there must be quite a number of people in our particular boat. Hopefully we'll get some clarity soon.

I don't see my consultant until April so will try contacting the MSU to see if anyone knows what's happening. Hopefully you'll get a clear answer at your appt in January. As my Granny would have said, "Don't worry love. It'll all come out in the wash!"

• TomMcL
    TomMcL Member Posts: 4

I’m sure your Granny was right, @Junglee , and things will sort themselves in the end. I just wish we had more guidance about what to do in the meantime. Like you I won’t qualify for my booster until mid Jan ie after the govt’s new target of the year end. Perhaps they could offer antibody tests to immunosuppressed folk who have to wait so each of us would at least know where we stood as the oncoming omicron so-called tidal wave hits our shores.

PS Hello! I’m new to the forum. I live in Surrey with my wife, two rescue dogs and ankylosing spondylosis for which I take Humira plus 20mg of MTX. Best wishes.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hello and welcome to the Community @TomMcL .

It's good to see a new member getting straight in and supporting others with their first post😊

I see from your post that you have Ankylosing Spondylosis and take methotrexate for it. Do have a look around the site there are a few threads by people who also have AS. You can put Ankylosing Spondylosis into the search and find them if you are interested.

The Omicron variant is worrying many of our immunocompromised members I hope you will find the support of everyone here helpful yourself and loo forward to seeing more of your posts in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273

Hi @TomMcL and welcome to the forum.

I asked for the antigen blood test on my last infusion appointment and it showed zero protection even though ive had all 3 jabs. i guess in a way that shows the 20mg meth and infusion drugs are working to kill of our immune systems but it does put us all in a difficult position on even leaving the house now where weve been for the last 19 months.

i went in for bloods yesterday as infusion tomorrow and passing i saw my manager and even she said due to omicron not to come into hospital anymore on a saturday when my department is closed so no contact with anyone.