Earliest sign of RA? - kept buying new shoes thinking that was the source of swollen painful feet…

Arthuritis
Arthuritis Member Posts: 443
edited 14. Dec 2021, 00:04 in Living with arthritis

I found that my earliest symptoms of RA were painful feet after long walks, never a problem before, prompting me to think bad shoes and making me buy several new pairs wondering why nothing made it better. (Guys usually only stump up for 1-2 pairs. Ever!)

I later found out I am not the only one, has anyone here done that? Should it be part of public awareness? If it had been caught that early I might have had a reasonable prospect at remission & avoiding connective tissue damage.

Thoughts & experiences?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

I blamed my heels too @Arthuritis ! I think so did Claire King the actress - I'm sure I read that somewhere.....

A few years ago there was a public awareness thing about hand shaking - not so relevant now with COVID is it?

• Arthuritis

@frogmorton I didn’t know about the handshaking thing, I thought I’ become clumsy butter hands always dropping stuff. Don’t know if related, as it started years before my RA Dx.

• vally
    vally Member Posts: 5

Can so relate. My kids laugh about how many shoes I have bought. Only really have one pair that is comfortable and wear those all the time.

• Arthuritis

@vally Yup! have a neat pile of only-worn-once shoes. Should have had alarm bells when the usual single layer gel insole made no difference, and. started pairing them and walked on a sandwich of 2 gel insoles! This was 11 months ago. Still do. Next set are memory foam insoles on top.