Introduction

Options
Geoff_501
Geoff_501 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Good morning, Geoff from Birmingham UK here. Struggled for a long time with Osteoarthritis in the Hip and Knee. I like this site and the people who run it. Kind Regards. Geoff.

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @Geoff_501, welcome to the online community!

I see you've got Osteoarthritis of both the hip and knee, and you're struggling some with them. I know how you feel - I have OA in my knees, and I'm thinking one of my ankles may be joining the club...

I've found doing exercises can really help, especially ones which target the problem areas. Stretching them makes them slightly less painful, and strengthening the muscles around the joints has really helped with more long-term mobility. I admit, I don't enjoy doing the exercises, but when I do do them I do notice a difference, so it may be worth looking into it for you if it's something you're struggling with. It can have a really positive effect if you do manage to do them regularly.

We also have some tailored exercises available for you to look at:

Having arthritis can also be a struggle emotionally, which a lot of people around us don't really understand. It's important for you to be honest and look after yourself. If you need any help or advice, we're always here. If you need something immediate you can talk to our helpline team. But do be aware that this is OK and it's good to look after yourself. If you need it, have a look at our booklet on the subject:

Versus Arthritis - Feelings matter: Emotional wellbeing and arthritis information booklet

You're always welcome here on the online community, to share or read or just have a place to feel like there are other people out there.

Lovely to meet you!

Shell

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Hi @Geoff_501

How are you doing? I have OA too and have found that exercise really does help, however for some reason I still find it hard to motivate myself to keep up with it, especially in the cold weather.

My joints respond well to warmth if they are giving me pain and I also like distraction - especially reading in this weather.

xx