Could Biologics Help

HD23Bucks
HD23Bucks Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

I am trying to find out more about biologics. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, diagnosed at age 21. I am now 71. Ive been on Methotrexate for the past 25 years and my results show it has worked relatively well for me. I have always kept active and do the exercises with Leon regularly, I realise age can slow people down but I can tell when its the Arthritis having a go and I've spent my life pacing myself.

My problem is the fatigue element of RA. I'm not sure that Methotrexate does anything to help in this area. I also get about 3 flare ups per year, which flatten me. My hands are very damaged and getting worse. I am seeing my Rheumatologist soon but wanted to get opinions from anyone with experience of using Biologics alongside Methatrexate.

My husband is scheduled for a heart bypass and the recovery period is 6 weeks not driving and not lifting anything over 3kgs and a further 6 weeks before he can return to anything like normal life. I need to be at the top of my game and thought I'd ask my Consultant about Biologics, but I need to know as much about them as possible before I see him as he can be quite dismissive and I need to know what I'm talking about. The Versus Arthritis web site has been very informative but personal opinions/experiences would be great. What do you think my chances are?

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @HD23Bucks let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for many years and been on methotrexate for a long time. You are after more information on biologics to enable you to have a conversation with your consultant.

Firstly I have been on Adalimumab (Humira) for over 9 years and for me it has been an absolute life changer in my battle with inflammatory arthritis of the spine. I know everyone reacts differently to them but for me I cannot speak highly enough on the positive impact they have had on my life.

The site is full of information and I wanted to signpost you to some key places to look for information on biologics. I understand that for RA these can either be anti-TNF drugs (like Adalimumab), Rituximab, Tocilumumab or Abatacept. Links to each below.

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help offer some useful suggestions.

Take care and I hope you get some relief and answers soon.

Thanks

Joe

• HD23Bucks
    HD23Bucks Member Posts: 3

HI Joe

Thanks for your very helpful reply. I have gleaned a certain amount from the VA website but I shall certainly follow the links you have provided and should be better prepared to talk to the Consultant. I'm worried that because methotrexate has been good for me up to the last few years that he wont even consider biologics for me. I just need to be the best version of me that I can be.

Heather